With winter around the corner, this is the season of festivities. Festivals are abundant and they never fail to find a way into one’s festive wardrobe as well. Pongal, which is celebrated in most South Indian homes, is observed during the month of January on either Chaitra Sukla Ashtami or Kartika Krishna Chaturdasi.
In this article, we will tell you why Pongal is so important and what to expect from the festival. We hope that by the end of it, you are hopefully enthused and in the mood to celebrate!
Also read: Mythology Behind Pongal Festival 2022
Pongal is a four-day-long harvest festival celebrated in Tamil Nadu, which falls in the month of Thai (January-February). It is one of the most popular festivals in South India, and is also known as the “Festival of First Fruits”. Pongal marks the end of the winter harvest season and is a time for thanksgiving for all the hard work that farmers have put in over the months.
Pongal 2023 Date
The 4 days of festivities of Pongal 2023 will begin on 15th January and last till 18th January respectively.
Want to know more about Pongal? Check this out: Pongal 2022 – History, Importance & Why Is It Celebrated?
What Are The 4-days of Pongal?
- The first day of Pongal is called Bhogi Pongal, people dress up in new clothes and offer prayers to Lord Indra, the god of rain.
- The second day, called Surya Pongal, is dedicated to worshipping Lord Surya, the sun god. On this day, people prepare special dishes made with rice and milk and offer them as offerings to the sun god.
- The third day, called Mattu Pongal, is when people thank their cattle for their hard work during the harvest season. Cattle are adorned with garlands and bells and given a special feast.
- The fourth and final day of Pongal is known as Kaanum Pongal. This day is reserved for family gatherings and feasting, as well as exchanging gifts with loved ones.
What To Wear For Pongal 2023
When it comes to festivals, there is always a lot of excitement and preparations that go into making sure everything is perfect. The same can be said for the traditional Tamil festival of Pongal. This guide will help you with what you should wear over the festival so that you can enjoy the celebrations to the fullest.
- Pongal is a Hindu festival which means that there are certain colours that are considered auspicious.
- Red, yellow and orange are some of the most popular choices when it comes to choosing what to wear for Pongal.
- You can either go for a saree or a dhoti-kurta (for men) in any of these colours.
- The middle of January can get quite warm in Tamil Nadu. So, choose light fabrics like cotton which will help you stay comfortable even in the heat.
Lastly, don’t forget to accessorise your outfit with some beautiful jewellery. Traditional South Indian jewellery goes really well with traditional Tamil outfits and will complete your look for the festival.
Ways To Celebrate Pongal In Your Home
There are many different ways to celebrate Pongal in your home. One popular method is to decorate your entrance with kolams, which are traditional Tamil designs drawn with rice flour. You can also decorate your home with lights and plants, and hang colourful banners up inside and outside. Another popular way to celebrate is by making special sweets and savouries to enjoy with your family and friends.
Recommended Read: Scientific significance of Pongal
Pongal is one of the most important festivals in Tamil culture, and it’s a great time to celebrate with family and friends. If you’re unsure of what to wear over the festival, don’t worry – we’ve got you covered. Our guide includes everything from traditional Tamil attire to more modern clothing options, so you can choose what works best for you. No matter what you choose to wear, remember to have fun and enjoy the festival!
Let’s Celebrate Pongal 2023 With Trendy Traditionals!
We hope you liked our blog on Pongal 2023: Dress Code For The Indian Harvest Festival. If you love traditional southern silk sarees, then contact us at www.julahaa.com We manufacture and supply traditional Kanjivaram silk sarees for all Hindu festivals and ceremonies. So, you get to choose your favourite saree from a vast variety of trendy & popular catalogues.
Our expert craftsmen design, weave & package the sarees with state-of-the-art machinery. Also, it is our same dedication towards the highest quality that has made us India’s fastest-growing saree brand of 2022.
To keep up with our latest catalogue releases & regular updates, follow us on:
Tana Bana Sarees: